In conclusion to our three-part blog Colorado Child Custody FAQs, here are some more answers to common questions that arise when parents of children are preparing for divorce and/or are dealing with any matters related to custody.

Keep in mind that the answers provided in this blog are general in nature and that you are encouraged to consult with an experienced attorney like the Highlands Ranch divorce and family law attorneys at Bahr and Kreidle for more specific info and professional advice regarding your case.

If you have more questions after reviewing these Colorado child custody FAQs, contact the Highlands Ranch family law attorneys at Bahr and Kreidle.

If you have more questions after reviewing these Colorado child custody FAQs, contact the Highlands Ranch family law attorneys at Bahr and Kreidle.

Q: If custody is shared, does either parent have to pay child support?

A: This depends from case to case. When deciding on whether one parent will have to pay child support (or how much that child support may be), a family court judge will typically take into consideration:

  • How much time each parent is responsible for the involved children
  • How much money each parent earns
  • The children’s expenses.

It’s important to point here that child support payments can be amended at any time if the circumstances of custody or one parent’s financial situation changes; however, these amendments to child support payment obligations must be officially handed down by the court (i.e., a person cannot simply decide to change the payment obligations without an official court ruling).

Q: If my ex isn’t paying child support according to the custody agreement, can I stop letting him or her see our child?

A: No. It can, of course, be tempting to withhold your child from your ex when you haven’t been getting the child support you need. This, however, is NOT a good idea and may end up coming back to bite you later. Instead, if your ex is not living up to his or her end of his child support obligations, the best thing you can do is to return to court and disclose this information to the judge.

While the judge may be able to impose some penalties to get your ex to pay the arrears and continue making child support payments moving forward, the judge may also decide to make an official change to the custody agreement.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado Divorce and Family Law Attorneys at Bahr and Kreidle

Since 1983, the divorce lawyers at Bahr and Kreidle have been helping married couples dissolve their marriages and resolve child custody issues so they can focus on their future.

Our lawyers are committed to being aggressive advocates for our clients in any legal setting and to providing our clients with exceptional personal service and the highest quality legal representation. This means that our clients can always count on us to be available to answer their questions, to fiercely defend their rights and to be tenacious about helping them achieve the best possible resolutions to their cases.

Contact Us Today

If you need help with a divorce, child custody issues or with any family law matter, our Highlands Ranch divorce lawyers urge you to get more information about your rights by meeting with us for a free, no obligations initial consultation. To set up a meeting, call us at (303) 794-7422 or email us using the form on this page.

From our law offices in Littleton, we represent clients throughout Colorado, including in the Denver Metro Area, Arapahoe County, Adams County, Jefferson County and the cities of Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Lonetree, Castle Rock, Westminster, Centennial and Aurora.