West Metro Fire responders recently used the ‘jaws of life’ to rescue a driver who was trapped in his vehicle after a serious rollover car accident.
The accident involved two vehicles and occurred near the intersection of South Kipling Street and South Jellison Way at about 10:45 a.m. The cause of the crash is still under investigation. The driver suffered minor injuries and was transported to the hospital. The driver of the other vehicle wasn’t injured.
How Dangerous are Rollover Accidents?
The fact is rollover accidents have a higher fatality rate than other types of car accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).2
- More than 10,000 people die every year in rollover accidents.
- Rollovers account for 33% of all vehicle fatalities.
- Taller, narrower vehicles are more prone to rollovers than other vehicles.
- Car drivers and passengers are 75% less likely to die in a rollover if they are wearing seatbelts.
How to Avoid a Rollover
- Panic Steering – Avoid panic steering! This happens when a driver tries to over correct or exercises excessive steering.
- Proper Maneuvering – If your vehicle leaves the road, reduce speed until you regain control of your vehicle. Once you have regained control of your vehicle, return to the roadway.
- Tire Pressure/Load Limits – Make sure tires are inflated to standard tire pressure marked on each tire. Overinflated tires will lose traction a lot faster than properly or under inflated tires. Consult your car’s owner manual to see what the load limit is for your vehicle. Items loaded on the roof of the car will impact the balance, center of gravity, and make it more likely your vehicle can rollover.
- Rural Roads – Drivers are more likely to have rollovers on rural roads and highways. Rural areas tend to have ditches, embankments, steep shoulders, and other obstacles that can create rollover conditions.
Contact a Littleton Car Accident Lawyer at Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker
Have you have been injured in a rollover car accident? If so, it’s time to contact a trusted Littleton car accident lawyer at Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker.
Our knowledgeable lawyers know how serious and devastating the impacts of car accident can be, and we know that many injured people depend on settlements to get the medical treatments they need. We’ll help you figure out your best options for recovery and fight for your rights to compensation for your injuries and losses.
For a free consultation on your potential claim, call us at (303) 794-7422 or email us using the contact form on this page.