While it would be nice to trust that insurance companies will honor the policies they issue, the fact is that insurers often deny policyholders’ valid claims because these companies are frequently more interested in preserving their profits over protecting their customers. If you find yourself in a dispute with your insurance company and are fighting them for a payout, here’s what you should do:
Do NOT accept the denial as the final outcome of your claim – First and foremost, if your valid claim has been denied a payout, do NOT falsely assume that this is the end of your case. In fact, did you know that approximately 10 percent of all claims filed with insurance companies are unfairly denied the first time they are filed? What’s possibly just as shocking are the facts that:
- Only about 1 percent of these people whose claims have been denied actually fight back.
- Most of these people who challenge insurers end up getting compensation or are able to get more than the initial offers from their insurers.
- Don’t accept “filing mistakes” as the explanation for the refusal of your claim – If you don’t fill out claims forms properly, you miss a deadline or you make some other type of filing mistake, insurers may try to deny your claim. However, such denials are generally not legitimate unless insurance companies can prove that your mistakes have prevented them from being able to properly investigate your claim or have somehow “harmed” the company (and this is often not the case).
- Read your policy over – Check to see if your policy does, in fact, offer the coverage your insurer is claiming that you do not. Your insurance company should have sent you a complete copy of the terms of your policy, and keeping a copy of the policy is important when insurance disputes arise.
- Demand on getting the insurer’s reasons for the denial in writing – If your insurance company has denied your claim, make sure you get the reasons for denial in writing. This can be crucial evidence if you later need to file a lawsuit against the insurer.
- Call an attorney – The single most important thing to do when insurers deny your valid claims is to call the Littleton insurance dispute attorneys at the Law Office of Bahr & Kriedle, as we can thoroughly investigate the dispute, prove when insurance companies are in the wrong and help you get the compensation to which you are entitled.
How the Littleton Insurance Dispute Lawyers at Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker Can Help You
Since 1983, the Littleton insurance dispute attorneys at the Law Office of Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker have been helping people go up against insurers that may be acting in bad faith. At every stage of a case, our attorneys are dedicated to providing our clients with exceptional personal service and the highest quality legal representation. This means that our clients can always count on us to be available to answer their questions, to fiercely defend their rights and to be tenacious about getting them the justice and compensation they deserve.
Contact Us for a Free Consult
If your legitimate insurance claim has been denied, our Littleton insurance dispute lawyers welcome you to get more information about your potential case and rights by meeting with us for a free, no obligations initial consultation. To set up a meeting, call us at (303) 794-7422 or email us using the form on this page.
From our law offices in Littleton, we represent clients throughout Colorado, including in the Denver Metro Area, Arapahoe County, Adams County, Jefferson County and in the cities of Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Lonetree, Castlerock, Westminster, Centennial and Aurora.