The following motorcycle accident statistics provide a clear picture of how frequently these types of traffic accidents occur, as well as how often they result in serious and fatal injuries. These facts and statistics have been compiled and published by various reputable agencies, including (but not limited to) the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Safety Council and the U.S. Department of Transportation.
General Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle accidents account for about 11 percent of all traffic accidents that occur each year in the U.S.; however, motorcycles only comprise about 3 percent of all registered vehicles in the U.S.
- Riders between the ages of 20 and 24 years old have the highest rates of injuries and deaths caused by motorcycle accidents.
- The top three most common injuries that riders sustain in motorcycle accidents include (in order of more to less common) leg and foot injuries, head and neck injuries, and injuries to the upper torso region.
Fatal Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- The risk of getting into a fatal accident is about 35 times greater for riders than it is for other motorists.
- Head injuries are the number one cause of motorcycle accident deaths.
- Wearing safety helmets can reduce riders’ risk of sustaining fatal head injuries by about 37 percent.
- More than 50 percent of all fatal motorcycle accidents involve at least one additional vehicle.
- About 42 percent of all fatal motorcycle accidents that involve at least two vehicles are left-hand turn accidents (meaning that a vehicle is making a left turn while a rider is attempting to pass or proceed straight).
- When no other vehicles are involved in fatal motorcycle accidents, speeding and operating motorcycles while intoxicated are the primary causes of these accidents.
- Speeding is a factor in approximately 35 percent of all fatal motorcycle accidents.
Contact the Littleton, Colorado Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker
At the Law Office of Bahr, Kreidle & Flicker, our Littleton motorcycle accident attorneys are experienced at and dedicated to representing victims of motorcycle accidents, including families who have lost a loved in these accidents. When injured people and their families choose to trust us with their cases, they can rely on us to be aggressive, unrelenting advocates for their rights and to do whatever it takes to help them get the compensation and justice they deserve.
A choice to work with our skilled Littleton motorcycle accident attorneys can empower injured people and give them confidence that their important legal matters will be resolved as favorably and efficiently as possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, we encourage you to meet with us for a free, no obligations initial consult. During this meeting, we can inform you of your rights and provide you with a thorough, professional case evaluation. Call us at (303) 794-7422 or email us using the form on this page to learn more.
Our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout Colorado from our law offices in Littleton, including in the Denver Metro Area, Arapahoe County, Adams County, Jefferson County and in the cities of Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Lonetree, Castlerock, Westminster, Centennial and Aurora.