Slip, trip & fall accidents are one of the leading causes of fatal and nonfatal injuries among older adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). While these accidents are often preventable, when they do occur, they can have profound physical, psychological and financial impacts on injured people.
More Statistics on Slip, Trip & Fall Accidents
The following statistics provide some more insight into the prevalence and impacts of slip, trip and fall accidents in the U.S. (according to data from the CDC):
- About 33 percent of all adults 65 and older experience at least one falling accident annually; however, less than half of these people discuss the accident with their healthcare providers.
- In 2013 (the most recent year for which complete data is available), about 2.5 million older adults were treated in ERs for fall-related injuries. More than 734,000 of these patients were subsequently hospitalized for further treatment.
- In 2013, the direct medical costs arising from fall injuries totaled about $34 billion.
Causes of Slip, Trip & Fall Accidents: How Negligence Can Be Involved
Slip, trip and fall accidents can occur anywhere – including at home and at places of business. When these accidents take place in retail settings, however, some of their specific causes may include (but may not be limited to):
- Puddles of water left on floors
- Spilled liquids, food or other substances being left on floors
- Uneven or cracked flooring
- Loose or broken handrails
- Bunched carpeting or mats
- Boxes or other items being left in walkways
- Poor lighting and/or poorly placed displays/shelving.
When store workers and/or managers were aware of such risks but did nothing to mitigate them (by, for instance, failing to clean up spills, fix uneven flooring, etc.):
- People can be injured in slip, trip and fall accidents, potentially sustaining serious injuries – like head and brain injuries, spine injuries and/or bone fractures.
- These injured parties may have a claim against the negligent party (or parties), and consulting with an experienced attorney can provide them with more information about their best options for financial recovery.
Littleton Premises Liability Lawyer at Bahr & Kreidle
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a slip, trip and fall accident? If so, you can rely on an experienced Littleton premises liability lawyer at Bahr & Kreidle for experienced help pursuing justice and compensation.
Since 1983, our lawyers have been fighting on behalf of injured people and aggressively standing up against injustice, inequality and intolerance. Our lawyers know how serious and devastating the impacts of slip, trip and fall injuries can be, and we know that many injured people depend on settlements to get the medical treatments they need. That’s why we are committed to being here to advocate injured people’s rights, help them hold negligent parties responsible and ultimately get them the highest possible awards for their injuries and losses.