In light of our recent blog regarding the recent HOS rule changes and the possible impacts they may have on trucker fatigue, we thought it would be a great time to take a closer look at the facts and statistics associated with truck driver fatigue and traffic accidents in the U.S.
The information presented herein has been compiled and previously published by various reputable agencies, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Trucker Fatigue and Accident Statistics
More than 87 percent of all truck accidents are caused by some type of driver error.
- Of the top 10 most common causes of truck accidents involving truck driver errors, trucker fatigue ranks number seven, as it reportedly contributes to about 13 percent of all large truck accidents that occur in the U.S. each year. Other notable trucker errors in this top 10 list include braking problems, speeding, drug use and driver distraction or inattention.
- Approximately 7 percent of truck drivers involved in collisions admit that falling asleep at the wheel was the primary contributing factor to a traffic accident.
- Another 41 percent of truckers admit that “minor fatigue” has been an issue contributing to at least one accident they’ve been involved in in the past.
- About 25 percent of truckers have admitted to falling asleep while driving at least once over the past 30 days.
- The vast majority of commercial truck accidents take place during long-haul trips (i.e., trips greater than 50 miles), making trucker fatigue a significant issue when it comes to longer driving times.
We will continue sharing some important information regarding trucker fatigue and traffic accidents in the second part of this blog series that will be published soon. We encourage you to check it out!
Littleton, Colorado Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at Bahr and Kreidle
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a traffic accident? If so, you can turn to the Littleton motor vehicle accident attorneys at Bahr and Kreidle for aggressive legal advocacy and help with your financial recovery. Since 1983, our lawyers have been fighting on behalf of injured people and aggressively standing up against injustice, inequality and intolerance.
Our lawyers know how serious and devastating the impacts of truck accidents can be, and we know that many injured people depend on settlements to get the medical treatments they need. That’s why we are committed to being here to advocate injured people’s rights, help them hold negligent parties responsible and ultimately get them the highest possible awards for their injuries and losses.
To find out more about your best options for financial recovery after traffic accidents, schedule a free, no obligations initial consultation with one of our trusted attorneys by calling us at (303) 794-7422 or emailing us using the contact form on this page.
From our law offices in Littleton, we represent clients throughout Colorado, including in the Denver Metro Area, Arapahoe County, Adams County, Jefferson County and the cities of Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Castle Rock, Westminster, Centennial and Aurora.